Saturday, October 12, 2013

Doing it right: Dreams Unlimited

Since the advent of the internet and sites like Priceline and Kayak, travel agencies have been seen as archaic and unnecessary.  Why should I pay some third party to plan a vacation that I am fully capable of planning myself?  I believe I know better than some stranger of what kind of things I like to do and where I like to eat, and if I need help, I'll just call the hotel or restaurant.  The idea of a travel agent is just outdated.

Dreams Unlimited has changed that thinking.

Dreams Unlimited offers "unique planning and concierge services" primarily for those wishing to visit Micky Mouse and friends.  Now, they aren't the only agency that handle Disney (Mouseketrips, Small World Vacations,  Magical Memories, The Magic For Less, and even Disney itself), and I have no idea if they are the best agency in the marketplace.  I have a rewards card that gives me Disney credits, so I always book directly with Disney World for my vacations; however, I have recommended to others that they check Dreams Unlimited out simply based on their marketing.

I expect any legitimate business to have a website, and Dreams Unlimited's is nothing to write home about.  Savvy companies like Dreams will have a Facebook page to connect directly with customers.  Some travel agencies also host an online forum so customers can ask questions to other customers.  What sets Dreams Unlimited out though is the Dis Unplugged, a weekly podcast of all things Disney.

I found the Dis Unplugged on iTunes when I started traveling and downloading podcasts was easier than trying to find a constant radio station in the fields of Indiana.  I was planning a trip to Disney World in Orlando with my family and wanted some perspective from what I could expect from bringing my two-year-old.  The problem: everything I looked at had this pollyanna view of the House of Mouse, and what I really wanted was a realistic view of Disney.  I even had low expectations of the Dis Unplugged once I realized that the major producer was a travel agency, thinking that I would be listening to a overdone commercial.

What I got was reliable information, honest reviews and a big dose of humor.  You can tell with the banter and range of opinions that everything is authentic, like your talking with a group of friends, instead of listening to a time-share presentation.  The personalities are distinct and you can instantly tell that they are not drinking the Disney Kool-Aid.  From the first episode that I listened to host Pete Warner went on a two minute rant about the distaterous move Disney made when they opened a Starbucks within the Magic Kingdom. 

Because of the success of the pod and video cast, they have been able to branch out and do some pretty neat stuff for Give Kids the World, a Make-a-Wish type charity focusing on bringing terminally ill children to Disney World.  They help organize meet-ups in different cities and take the show on the road.  Their graciousness to the their hosts only bolsters their brand and fosters a connection to the cast beyond just Disney freaks.  Any business that relies exclusively on customer service needs to have genuine empathy for others, and the way they deal with people at the meets have convinced me to give Dreams Unlimited some business.

The interesting thing in a marketing vein is that I know that Dreams Unlimited puts on this podcast on to generate business and after a month of listening, I want them to succeed.  Because I feel like I know these guys (and gals), I actively root for them when they say that they have a new promotion.  I get excited about the trips they plan using Adventures by Disney and I feel bad when they have a subpar dining experience.  Basically, because they treat their audience like people and not just potential customers, I want their business to succeed.  I even sent my parents their way when they wanted to check out a Disney vacation in April.

In your organization, you may not have the time to take on a weekly podcast, but don't discount the way you handle yourself in all your interactions with potential clients.  Take it from Dreams Unlimited, that sometimes the best way to sell your business is to not sell out yourself.


No comments:

Post a Comment